Joseph Giraud House
See a 360 degree tour of arte italia
Note: The facilities at 442 Flint Street are not available for private party events.
As Nevada's premier architect, Frederic DeLongchamps conceived the Giraud House in 1914. The design utilizes formal Colonial Revival style elements such as a wide frieze below the roofline and comprehensive use of white Tuscan columns and red brick construction. The main decorative features are the porches projecting from three sides, each framed with columns.
Brick has long been a popular building material in Reno, as well as a favorite of DeLongchamps, and it is utilized in a full range of architectural styles around town. The house is located in the Newlands neighborhood, an early example of the numerous mansion and homes built in this historically fashionable district in Reno, primarily between the 1920s and 1940s.
442 Flint Street was built for Joseph Giraud, a sheep rancher. For a number of years, the sheep industry was lucrative and more than a few sheep ranchers made fortunes on wool and meat which was needed for the mining boomtowns that developed throughout Nevada.
In 1934, the house was purchase by Roy Allen Hardy, a mining engineer who worked for George Wingfield, a notable Nevada politician and banker. As a confederate of Wingfield, Hardy was seen as a prominent citizen in Reno and worked as a mine foreman, supervisor, and owner and operator of numerous mining operations in surrounding cities. He also served as a regent of the University of Nevada for eight years.
Most recently, the property was home to various restaurants, most notably the Hardy House, Pyrenees, and the Aero Club. 442 Flint Street was the first property listed on the City of Reno Register of Historic Places in 1994.